Among the most frustrating kinds of car accidents are those caused by drunk driving. Despite decades of warning of the dangers of drunk driving, people still do it. With the availability of ridesharing companies these days, this is unfathomable. Drunk driving car accidents are 100% preventable.
If you have been hit by a drunk driver, you need to retain a Richmond car accident lawyer. The first thing they will tell you is to seek immediate medical attention. This is true even if you don’t think you are hurt. There are injuries that aren’t obvious right away.
After you receive medical treatment, you then need to call a car accident lawyer in the city of Richmond. Your attorney will want you to bring the following to your free initial consultation:
- Accident or police report
- Medical records from the accident
- Pictures of the scene and cars
- Pictures of your injuries
- Insurance information for you and the other driver
- Any eyewitness statements
- Contact information for the witnesses
Remember, you want to try to get contact information for all passengers in both cars. Your personal injury attorney will review all of this information for your case.
Understanding Your Injuries
Drunk driving accidents can cause very serious injuries. This is because drunk drivers are often speeding. They are not able to operate their car safely. You never know when a drunk driver will cause an accident. You can drive as carefully as possible but it cannot prevent drunk driving accidents.
Here are some of the injuries common with drunk driving accidents:
- Legs and knees – legs and knees are shattered when the impact is from the side. These injuries make it hard to resume normal activities.
- Neck – whiplash is the most common injury with all car accidents
- Chest – due to the high impact, your seatbelt can cause broken ribs and lacerations to the chest which are very painful. They also make it hard to breathe.
- Spinal cord – you could be partially or totally paralyzed
- Head and brain – you could have a skull fracture or just bad bruising. You can also end up with a traumatic brain injury. These are the most serious kind of injuries.
If you have suffered injuries from a drunk driving accident, you need to be compensated. You will have medical bills and lost wages. You will also be entitled to pain and suffering. Call a car accident attorney in Richmond, VA, immediately after seeking medical treatment.
Why You Need a Richmond Car Accident Lawyer
You don’t want to try to handle a drunk driving accident yourself. It is not hard to prove that the other driver was drunk. There should be accident reports to prove that. However, you do need a lawyer to prove your case.
An experienced Virginia car accident lawyer will get the evidence to prove your case. He will access the police reports and drunk driving records and will access the other driver’s driving history and criminal record. Lastly, he will get experts to testify about your injuries.
If you’ve been injured in a drunk driving accident, contact a Richmond auto accident attorney. The initial consultation is free and you pay nothing until they win your case!