Falls Church, Viriginia should be one of the most secure cities in Virginia when it comes to dog bites. Besides the state laws, the city has its own ordinances aiming to protect the locals. Unfortunately, the reality is different. More and more locals end up needing a Falls Church dog bite lawyer. When they do they call Christian direct 1-800-HURT-123 to schedule a free consultation.
- 1 Falls Church Dog Attack Lawyers Are Busier by the Day
- 2 The Challenges of Compensating Dog Bite Injuries – How a Falls Church Dog Bite Lawyer Can Help
- 2.1 The Dog Was Vicious or Dangerous
- 2.2 The Attack Lacked Justified Provocation
- 2.3 The Dog Owner Violated the Law or Breached Their Duty of Care
- 2.4 The Bite Occurred Due to the Owner’s Negligent or Intentional Actions
- 2.5 The Injuries and Pain and Suffering You Incurred Justify the Claimed Compensation
- 3 Call a Falls Church Dog Bite Attorney Now!
Falls Church Dog Attack Lawyers Are Busier by the Day
Our team, at Commonwealth Accident Injury Law (CAIL), has noticed this tendency as well. We blame it on the crowded traffic and increasing noise that drives animal crazy. Another factor could be the busy routine of the owners who neglect their animals. Few find the time to take their dog out for a walk and teach it to socialize.
No matter the causes, dog bite victims have the right to receive compensation for their losses. They can claim the compensation by themselves or with the help of a personal injury attorney. Unfortunately, recovering dog-bite related losses in Falls Church is extremely challenging. As a dog bite victim, you will need all the help you can get. Here is why.
The Challenges of Compensating Dog Bite Injuries – How a Falls Church Dog Bite Lawyer Can Help
In theory, dog owners are responsible for any injuries or damages their animal causes. In practice, this does not always hold true. As a dog bite victim, you have to prove as many as possible, if not all, of the following aspects:
The Dog Was Vicious or Dangerous
Also known as the one-bite rule, it means showing the dog bit or attacked someone else before. Connecting it to a dangerous, aggressive breed helps as well. If you succeed, your case is half-won. However, gathering the necessary evidence will not be easy. It means digging up records to find previous complaints about the same animal. It is better to leave the investigation to an experienced lawyer.
The good news is that, as all dog attack lawyers know, vicious animals are not welcome in Falls Church. A local ordinance makes it illegal to keep vicious animals in town. Owners should take special measures to secure and isolate the animal on their premises.
The Attack Lacked Justified Provocation
Sometimes, dogs attack people in response to the person’s actions. If you did something to provoke the attack, you should not expect any compensation. Common examples of justified provocation are:
- Trespassing on the dog owner’s property
- Taking something that belongs to the dog owner
- Harming the dog in any way at the time of the bite or sometime in the past
- Verbally or physically attacking the dog owner
A Falls Church dog bite lawyer can easily explain if your actions qualify as justified provocation. They can also assess if you played any part in the dog bite. This is very important because contributory negligence bars recovery rights. If you were partly at fault for what happened, you cannot recover any losses.
The Dog Owner Violated the Law or Breached Their Duty of Care
In Falls Church, dog owners have a few important obligations. If you can prove they breached at least one of them, your case is half won. Many dog owners fail to:
- Keep the dog on a leash. Leashes are mandatory for dogs when leaving the owner’s property. The collar should have the city’s dog license attached to it. Also, the dog should not roam freely but stay under the control of a responsible handler.
- Prevent the dog from running loose on private property. There are no designated public areas for dogs to run freely in Falls Church. The owner, keeper, or walker has to keep the animal on a leash and gather its excrement.
- Report bites. Both dog owners and victims have to report bites. The owner should also confine the animal. The purpose is to identify rabies cases and prevent them from spreading.
These are the main things experienced dog attack lawyers check when taking over a new case. If they can prove the dog owner acted negligently or disregarded the law intentionally, they win. If you can think of anything that could prove the dog owner’s negligence, share it with your attorney. The latter will find a way to use that detail in your favor.
The Bite Occurred Due to the Owner’s Negligent or Intentional Actions
This means showing that the dog owner could have avoided the bite but did not. In some cases, the owners admit to their mistakes and it’s sufficient. In other cases, the dog bite attorney has to recreate the scene and use witnesses and even expert testimonies.
The Injuries and Pain and Suffering You Incurred Justify the Claimed Compensation
As a dog bite victim, you can claim compensation for:
- Property damage (torn clothes, damaged gadgets)
- Medical expenses
- Physical and emotional trauma
- Lost income
- Disability or disfigurement
- Physical and psychological rehabilitation.
In order to receive compensation, you need to prove that the losses were a direct consequence of the bite. For that, you will need medical reports, prescriptions, bills, and invoices. Under no circumstances should you delay seeing a doctor or following their recommendations. If you do, it could cost you your compensation. You should discuss any such plans with your Falls Church dog bite lawyer.
As you can see, obtaining compensation after a dog bite is not easy. It takes a lot of time and work, and the knowledge and experience of the best dog attack lawyers. Moreover, everything has to be done against the clock. The Virginia statute of limitations allows only two years for filing a dog bite lawsuit. The countdown begins on the date of the bite. However, recovering from injuries, obtaining evidence, and following formalities take time.
Call a Falls Church Dog Bite Attorney Now!
If you want to seek compensation for your dog bite injuries, we can help. We will review your case, explain your options, and guide your steps. Our Falls Church dog bite lawyer will answer any questions you may have. All you have to do is call 1-800-HURT-123 and schedule a consultation. We are also available by e-mail and live chat.