A lot of people are intimidated by tractor trailers. This is because they’re big and can do a lot of damage. We see news stories all the time about truck accidents. We pray that it never happens to us. However, given how many trucks are on the road, odds are, at some point, it could happen.
There are more trucks on the road today than ever before. This is because people are doing a lot more business online. This means the traditional methods of shopping have changed. There are just a ton of products that have to be delivered today. This can create a hazard on the road.
Imagine you’re driving home from work one night. You’re on a busy highway. Suddenly, a tractor trailer comes over from the other side of the road. It hits you head on. The driver had just left a bar from happy hour and is well over the legal limit. The next thing you know, you’re in the hospital.
Truck accidents cause very serious injuries. You could be in the hospital for a while. You may be out of work for quite some time. It’s important that you contact a truck accident lawyer in Richmond to help get you justice.
A Truck Accident Lawyer in Richmond, Virginia Can Handle Your Case
Truck accidents are some of the most dangerous types of accidents. This is because passenger vehicles just don’t stand a chance against such a large machine. The impact alone can cause serious bodily injury of even death.
When you compound this with the fact that the truck driver is drunk, the results are disastrous. If you get hit by a drunk truck driver, you need to make sure the police are called. If your injuries are too severe to call them yourself, pray that someone on the road does it for you.
The police report will show that the truck driver was drunk at the time of the accident. Your truck accident lawyer will use this to help get you the compensation you deserve. In fact, the driver probably had to go to court for his DUI arrest. If he’s convicted of DUI, your lawyer will use this as per se evidence that the truck driver was responsible.
Your Truck Accident Lawyer in Richmond Will Pursue All Possible Parties
If you are hit by a drunk truck driver, there could be several parties liable for your damages. Obviously, the truck driver will be held liable. However, there are other parties you need to pursue. Your Richmond truck accident lawyer will make sure all potential defendants are named.
The parties that may be responsible for your accident are:
- The truck driver
- The insurance company for the company he drives for
- The company he works for
- The bar he was drinking at
Because the driver worked for a company, they will be held vicariously liable for his actions. Even though he stopped at the bar on his way home from work, he was still in his commercial vehicle. This is why the employer will still be held responsible.
The bar that overserved the driver could be held liable as well. It really depends on how much they served him and whether or not he was overtly drunk while at the bar.
Your Truck Accident Lawyer in Richmond Will Get You the Compensation You Deserve
As we said earlier, if you’re in a truck accident, your injuries will likely be quite severe. Your truck accident lawyer will work hard to get you as much compensation as possible. Some of the damages he’ll demand include:
- Medical Bills – The defendant will be responsible for both current medical bills and future medical bills. If you require surgery or physical therapy, it may take you months or years to recover. Your doctor can testify as to how much your future care will cost.
- Lost Wages – If you’re out of work because of the accident, you’ll be entitled to lost wages. You’ll probably be out of work for weeks or months. You may even become permanently disabled. The defendant will be responsible for any wages you lose.
- Pain and Suffering – You’ll be in a lot of pain from your injuries. You’ll probably also suffer mental and emotional stress. You are entitled to compensation for these things.
- Property Damage – Your car may be totaled after a truck accident. The defendant is responsible for all repairs or replacement of your vehicle.
Call and schedule your initial consultation with a truck accident lawyer in Richmond today. He’ll review your case and let you know what it may be worth. He’ll also work hard to get you a fair settlement from the defendant or the insurance company. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.
Let's get started with your free consultation!