Head injuries are a common consequence of car accidents in Virginia Beach. Many times, they lead to traumatic brain injury. This is one of the most serious consequences a car accident could have. Anyone dealing with it should start looking for traumatic brain injury attorneys.
At Commonwealth Accident Injury Law (CAIL), we have handled numerous traumatic brain injury cases. We know how difficult to treat these injuries are and what dreadful consequences they may have. Our traumatic brain injury lawyer advises all clients who receive blows to the head to see a doctor. It is the best way to diagnose traumatic brain injury early and avoid complications.
If you suffered a head injury and you have not taken a medical exam, you should as soon as possible. You should also call Christian direct at 1-800-HURT-123. If you are not sure you need one, an overview of the impact of a traumatic brain injury may help.
- Why Virginia Beach Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys Recommend Immediate Medical Exams
- Common Symptoms or Reasons to Consult a Doctor and a Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
- Types of Losses a Virginia Beach Head Injury Lawyer May Recover for Their Clients
- Consult One of the Best Virginia Beach Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys Now!
Why Virginia Beach Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys Recommend Immediate Medical Exams
Traumatic brain injury occurs as a result of violent head blows or jolts. It is a common consequence of car accidents in the city of Virginia Beach. An object or a shattered skull bone may penetrate the brain tissue. The injury can be mild and have only temporary effects. It can also consist of brain bruising, tissue damage or bleeding and cause long-term or permanent damage.
Left untreated, traumatic brain injury may get worse. Accident victims have the right to compensation for any injuries and losses they suffered. They usually claim this compensation from the insurer of the party at fault or their own insurer. In order to obtain the compensation, they will need medical reports and evaluations. They will also need to prove the connection to the accident and compliance with treatment recommendations.
Those who wait too long may have a hard time proving their injuries are the result of the accident. If complications arise, the insurer may argue that they were due to the victim’s negligence. Failure to seek medical attention or follow treatment qualifies as negligence. Therefore, accident victims who suffered head injuries should see a doctor and watch out for symptoms.
Common Symptoms or Reasons to Consult a Doctor and a Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Some symptoms appear immediately after the trauma. Others show up days, weeks, or months later. Here are the signs that it is time to see a doctor and a personal injury lawyer.
- Loss of consciousness
- Headaches, confusion, sensitivity to light
- Nausea, drowsiness, loss of balance
- Fatigue, sleepiness, sleeping difficulties
- Blurred vision, ear ringing, changes in taste or smell, slurred speech
- Concentration difficulties and memory loss
- Irritability and mood swings
- Depression, anxiety
- Convulsions or seizures
- Dilated pupils, nose or ear bleeding
- Numbness or weakness in toes or fingers
Left untreated, traumatic brain injury can lead to severe, life-threatening complications. Here are a few examples:
- Loss of consciousness and mental capacity
- Brain hemorrhage
- Loss of vision, smell, taste, or hearing
- Memory loss and learning difficulties
- Decision-making, problem-solving, planning, and multi-tasking difficulties
- Inability to speak, write, or understand speech and writing
- Degenerative brain disease and even brain death
Many accident victims delay or avoid getting medical assistance because they are worried about costs. However, if they work with experienced brain injury attorneys, they should be able to recover all medical expenses and more.
Types of Losses a Virginia Beach Head Injury Lawyer May Recover for Their Clients
The losses a traumatic brain injury lawyer may recover for their client are numerous. Generally, the compensation claim can cover any or all of the following:
- Emergency and specialized medical assistance: ER, physician, and neurologist examinations, etc.
- Tests: MRI, X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, angiograms, neurological exams and more
- Medical procedures: surgery, stitching, implants, etc.
- Treatment: painkillers, neuro-stimulants, gastric and liver support medication
- Therapy: physical and psychological therapy
- Medical devices: neck brace, wheelchair
- Pain and suffering
- Home care
- Lost income and loss of earning capacity
- Loss of consortium and ability to enjoy life
- Punitive damages
It is important to note that recovering any of these losses takes strong evidence. The accident victims or their Virginia Beach traumatic brain injury attorneys have to prove that:
- The defendant to the claim owed them a duty of care
- They breached their duty of care, either by negligence or intentionally
- The injuries and losses subject to the claim were the results of the accident
- The expenses and losses the victim incurred justify the claimed compensation.
An important aspect to keep in mind is Virginia law’s take on contributory negligence. Claimants who share fault for their accident lose their right to compensation. To ensure recovery of all losses, it helps to work with an experienced head injury lawyer.
Consult One of the Best Virginia Beach Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys Now!
If you incurred traumatic brain injury, we can help you recover all your losses. At CAIL, we have some of the most experienced traumatic brain injury attorneys. They have the skills, resources, and dedication to secure the compensation you deserve. Contact us online or by calling 1-800-HURT-123 and schedule a consultation. We are here for you!