Car Accident Lawyer in Falls Church, VA
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you are going the help of a Virginia car accident lawyer. Following an accident, you’re going to be dealing with your injuries and getting your vehicle fixed. The last thing you want to do is spend time on the phone fighting with insurance companies. Things will only get more complicated if your claim is denied or if the other driver gets a car accident lawyer in Falls Church.
Although most people can go their entire lives without having a car accident, many are not so lucky. In 2017, there were over 127,000 car accidents in Virginia. In fact, there are about 65,000 people hurt in car accidents every year in Virginia. Sadly, close to 1,000 people die from these injuries.
For Falls Church, the numbers are not so frightening. There are about 121 crashes per year and about 177 injuries every year in Falls Church. This doesn’t mean, however, that people in Falls Church don’t get hurt in other parts of Virginia. If you are unlucky enough to be injured in a car accident, you will want to contact a Falls Church accident lawyer.
Car accidents can be minor fender benders, or they can be quite serious. It depends on what types of cars are involved and how the accident was caused. Certain types of car accidents cause much worse injuries than others. A car accident lawyer in Falls Church will fight hard to make sure you are compensated for your injuries.
Types of Car Accidents in Falls Church
There is no limit to the type of car accident you can suffer. Virginia car accident lawyers have handled every type of case imaginable. Some car accidents are just that – accidents. Nobody intended to act irresponsibly. Nobody acted recklessly. Most of these types of accidents are minor – hopefully. There are often minor rear-end car accidents and fender benders.
Many types of car accidents, however, are directly due to a driver’s negligence. Sometimes, they are caused by outright reckless behavior such as drunk driving or driving while on drugs. Drivers text while they’re driving and end up hurting or killing innocent people.
No matter what the cause, if you’re in an accident, you will need an auto accident lawyer in Falls Church. Here is a summary of the most common types of car accidents. Falls Church car accident lawyers are experienced in handling all types of accident cases. No matter what the circumstances, you will be in good hands.
- Rear-End Accidents: This is the most common type of car accident. Usually, nobody is seriously hurt in a rear-end accident. However, if the car who hits you is driving very fast, the chances of being seriously hurt increase.
Most rear-end car accidents happen because the driver in back isn’t paying attention. Either they don’t see that the light is changing or they aren’t aware that there is a stop sign on the corner. They may be changing the radio station or talking on their phone. In almost all cases, the rear driver is going to be considered at fault.
There are a few exceptions to this rule. If the first driver’s brake lights are faulty, they may be the party who is deemed responsible. Alternately, if the driver in front slammed on his brakes unnecessarily, they could be held to be partly at fault.
Virginia is one of the few states who still hold that if you are even partly at fault, you don’t have a case against the other driver. It is a harsh rule because it totally denies your claim if you were even a tiny bit at fault. Most states simply reduce your compensation by your percentage of fault. If you have a skilled auto accident lawyer in Falls Church, he will argue that you were not at fault and, therefore, entitled to compensation.
- Texting and Driving Accidents: One of the more frustrating types of car accidents is the texting and driving accident. There is no reason why anyone should be texting while they are driving. Virginia totally bans texting while driving. It is illegal. There are public service initiatives all the time against texting and driving. Still, people do it.
Texting and driving accident are dangerous because one party literally has no idea what they’re doing. You can cross medians while texting and driving. You can cause head-on collisions. Anything is possible because the driver is paying no attention to the road. The problem is that the other driver’s become innocent victims.
With texting and driving, the issue becomes proof. How are you supposed to prove that the other driver was actually texting at the precise moments before the accident? This is where your Virginia car accident lawyer comes in. Your car accident lawyer in Falls Church is able to subpoena the other driver’s cell phone records. They can depose witnesses who may have been in the car with the other driver. These are things you wouldn’t know to do. Even if you thought to do it, you don’t have the experience that a lawyer has.
- Head-On Collisions: This type of accident is very dangerous and can cause the most serious injuries. Usually, the drivers are on a highway and going very fast. Also, whenever two pieces of metal crash head-on, it is scary. The most vulnerable parts of your body (your head and brain) are impacted by a car weighing several thousand pounds and going very fast.
Often times, head-on collisions are involved with drunk driving or distracted driving. We have seen an increase in head-on collisions caused by people under the influence of drugs. Once alcohol or drugs are involved, the driver has little control over their vehicle. It only takes a few seconds of inattention to cause a head-on collision.
With head-on collisions, it is usually easy to tell which party is at fault. In most cases, one car is on the wrong side of the road. Or, one car shows skid marks whereas the other one doesn’t. Unfortunately, sometimes the injuries are so severe that the drivers aren’t able to tell you what happened.
- Wrong Way Accidents: One of the hardest types of accidents to understand are wrong way accidents. How confused or drunk must a driver be to be driving the wrong way down a road? You can understand if someone is lost in a neighborhood and goes down a one-way street the wrong way. Typically, they are driving very slowly and are already on alert. the odds of them doing something as careless as hit another car are low.
It becomes scary when someone is driving the wrong way because they are drunk or disturbed. They could be having a seizure (although that is very rare.) They could be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They could even be in the middle of an argument on their phone. Regardless of the reason, causing a wrong way accident is reckless. The victim has no idea it is coming – why would they? Nobody drives expecting a car to come roaring at them the wrong way. And, once it is underway, there is nothing either party can do to stop it.
- Drunk Driving Accidents: There is no excuse for drunk driving. In this day where you can call Uber or Lyft, there is no reason why anyone would drink and then drive. If you do this, you are asking for trouble. The problem is, the trouble is usually caused to an innocent victim.
With drunk driving, any type of accident is possible. Car accident lawyers in Falls Church see head-on collisions, wrong way drivers, and terrible crashes. Injuries can be very serious in drunk driving accidents. Often times, the drunk driver is speeding. They lose control of their car and end up hurting or killing innocent people.
People guilty of drunk driving are going to be both criminally and civilly liable. If a driver is convicted of drunk driving, your auto accident lawyer in Falls Church is going to use that information. He can show an insurance company or jury that the other driver was legally drunk at the time of the accident. Damages awarded in drunk driving accidents can be much higher than in rear-end or other minor accidents.
What if an Insurance Company Denies Your Claim?
Fighting an insurance company is not something you want to do alone. They have adjusters and lawyers on their side. They can deny your claim for any number of reasons. Their hope is that you’ll just walk away without putting up a fight. Keep in mind, insurance companies don’t stay in business because they pay claims.
You will want to retain an auto accident lawyer in Falls Church if your insurance claim is denied. It can be denied for a number of reasons:
- The policy lapsed or was canceled for non-payment – if this is the case, there is nothing your lawyer can do to help you. All he can do is help you pursue the other driver in a personal lawsuit.
- The insurance company believes you were the one at fault – Often times, an insurance company will use this as their excuse for not paying. They know that you, in turn, will have to prove that the other driver was indeed at fault. This is when you really need the services of a Falls Church car accident lawyer. They aren’t afraid to go up against the insurance company when it comes to causation.
- The insurance company claims you were not injured – One of the main reasons (aside from getting treatment) that you go to the hospital is to prove you were hurt. It could be weeks or months before the insurance company responds to your claim. By that time, any injuries you may have suffered could have gone away. Or, something happens in between the time of the accident and the time you appeal your claim. The insurance company will argue that it was an intervening cause and not the accident that caused your injuries.
Regardless of the reason the insurance company denies your claim, you want an experienced Virginia car accident lawyer by your side. You can bet the insurance company has an attorney by their side. You need to do the same.
Types of Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Some car accidents are serious and others are very minor. In some of the serious car accidents like drunk driving or head-on collisions, injuries tend to be severe. The more severe the injuries, the higher the damages you can claim. You want to make sure you get medical treatment right away following an accident. You want to make sure you are okay. You also want to make sure you get your injuries documented. You never know what issues you may run into when it comes to your insurance claim or lawsuit.
Each type of injury brings with it certain damages. Not only are there medical bills, but there can be other types of losses, such as:
- Lost wages
- Lost future income
- Depression, grief and anxiety
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Permanent disability
- Facial disfigurement
The types of injuries you suffer will determine what sort of damages you are entitled to.
- Head Injuries: Some of the most severe injuries are head injuries. You can certainly suffer from broken bones, cuts and bruises. You may suffer burns or lacerations to your face. However, the most serious type of head injury is a traumatic brain injury.
A traumatic brain injury is when your head suffers a severe blow. Your brain is actually injured as a result. You can end up with bleeding on the brain. You may display stroke-like symptoms. Some of the side effects of a traumatic brain injury are:
- Blurred vision
- Short- and long-term memory loss
- Speech issues
- Hearing loss
- Fatigue or insomnia
When you suffer a head injury, you need to make sure the hospital runs all possible tests. They are going to want to do an MRI and a CT scan. They have to check to make sure you don’t have any hidden injuries that aren’t obvious. If you have bleeding on the brain, the doctors are going to have to keep you for observation. Getting proper medical treatment is the most important thing you need to do. Your car accident lawyer in Falls Church can help take care of everything else later.
- Neck Injuries: One of the most common types of injuries is whiplash. This is when your neck is stretched too far in one direction. You can suffer a muscle strain in your neck such as whiplash. It causes pain and limited motion. You won’t be able to do normal things like drive and turn your head. You will probably have to wear a neck brace for a few days or weeks.
The issue with whiplash is that it’s impossible to prove. There is no test or x-ray a doctor can show to prove you suffered whiplash. It really comes down to your statement and the testimony of your doctor or chiropractor. Juries and insurance companies are suspicious of whiplash claims.
Courts understand that whiplash is a common injury. They don’t typically award more than a few thousand dollars in damages for whiplash. This is because it heals itself with time and is not that serious an injury. However, when you’re the one suffering from it, this can be little comfort.
- Back Injuries: If you suffer back injuries from a car accident, you may be in it for the long haul. Back injuries can be the longest lasting of all types of injuries. Back injuries such as herniated and bulging discs are very painful. They usually require years of treatment. You may need surgery or physical therapy.
With back injuries, you need to make sure you have an auto accident lawyer in Falls Church. Insurance companies are going to claim that you had back issues prior to the accident. By the time many of us reach a certain age, this could be true. If they can prove that you had a pre-existing condition, it may affect your compensation. Make sure you have a good car accident lawyer by your side to prove that your injuries are related to the car accident.
Back injuries are so common with car accidents because any impact can hurt your back. Our backs support almost our entire body. No matter how your car is impacted, chances are your back is going to be affected. You can suffer slipped discs, muscle strains, or even a spinal cord injury.
- Internal Injuries: Internal injuries are common with car accidents. The problem is, they are hard to detect. You may feel fine immediately following a car accident. Then, hours or days later, you start to feel terrible. You may experience headaches, nausea, or pain. If this happens, you need to seek immediate medical care.
There are several types of internal injuries associated with car accidents:
- Internal bleeding
- Bleeding on the brain
- Injuries to spleen, kidney, or other organs
- Punctured lung
Medical staff will have to do a series of tests to check for internal injuries. The big problem with internal injuries is left untreated, they can kill you. Doctors know what the signs and symptoms are for internal injuries. This is why it’s so important that you go to the hospital after an accident no matter what.
- Facial Disfigurement: As vain as it may sound, we all want our faces to look good. If we are in an accident and get cuts and broken bones on our face, we are scared. We worried about how long they will last. Some scars are permanent and may require cosmetic surgery. You can ask for damages for facial disfigurement. No matter how vain it may seem, it can seriously affect our lives, our confidence and our careers.
Wrongful Death Caused by a Car Accident
Sadly, some car accidents cause the death of a driver, passenger or pedestrian. When this happens, Virginia car accident lawyers know you need to focus on recovering from the loss of your loved one. However, you do want to get justice for your family member. You will need the services of a car accident lawyer in Falls Church to get you that justice.
If your loved one dies in a car accident, you will be entitled to certain damages. Attorneys understand that the last thing you want to think about is a lawsuit. You just lost your husband, father or child. However, the law is there to protect you in these situations. Your Falls Church car accident lawyer will handle your case with care and compassion.
Some of the damages associated with a wrongful death claim are:
- Lost income
- Loss of counsel for the family
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
As cold as it may sound, insurance companies know it is in their best interest to settle these types of cases. Juries always want to award high judgments to victims of wrongful death. The driver needs to be held responsible. If the driver was reckless or careless, the jury will have zero sympathy for him or her.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Falls Church, Virginia
After a car accident, the first thing you need to do is seek immediate medical treatment. If you or a loved one have been hurt in a car accident, you will need a lawyer. You should contact a car accident lawyer in Falls Church immediately. If you’ve been hurt, you need to be compensated.
Your initial consultation is absolutely free. Your Virginia car accident lawyer will answer any questions and concerns you may have. They will review your case and let you know what they think it may be worth. You pay nothing until you win your case.