More people travel during the holiday season than any other time of the year. Forget summer vacations. It’s Thanksgiving and the December holidays that bring people to the road. You may be one of them. If you have family that lives out of state, chances are, you’re going to visit them this year. With so many people on the road, there’s a greater chance that you can get into a car accident. If you’re driving out of town, you may not be familiar with the area. You may not know what the speed limits are. You need to be extra careful to make sure you don’t end up on the receiving end of a dangerous crash.
The problem with an out of state accident is that you won’t be in your own back yard. If you get into a crash somewhere else, you’ll have to file your legal claim there. Now, hopefully, the other driver’s insurance company will pay your claim. But, if they don’t, your Virginia Beach automobile accident lawyer will have to travel to represent you.
Why Would Your Car Accident Claim Be Denied in the First Place?
Like we said, if your insurance claim is paid, you won’t have to worry about hiring an attorney. However, this time of year, a lot of insurance companies deny more claims than normal. Some of the reasons they may deny your claim include:
- The policy was cancelled for non-payment
- The vehicle wasn’t listed on the policy
- The policy expired
- They see that you have a history of filing insurance claims
- You had a pre-existing medical condition
With your crash taking place out of town, it makes things more complicated. If your Virginia Beach car accident lawyer isn’t able to settle your claim, you’ll have no choice but to file a lawsuit. This means you’ll be driving out of town for any court hearings. This is why it’s in your best interests to settle your case rather than taking legal action.
Even If You Were Driving Out of Town, You Still Have to Take Certain Steps After Your Crash
If you do get into an accident out of state, there are a few things you need to know. You still need to do the same three things after the accident:
- Call the local police. They have investigated dozens of accident scenes and will make note of any important information.
- Go to the hospital and take an ambulance to get there. You need to make sure you’re okay. You also need to make sure you have proof that you were injured in the first place.
- Call a skilled and experienced accident attorney in Virginia. They’ll make sure your claim is handled properly from the start.
What Kind of Damages Will Your Virginia Beach Accident Lawyer Demand?
If you get injured in an accident out of state this holiday season, your attorney is going to demand compensation. The person who caused your crash should be held liable. Why should you be left holding the bag when you didn’t do anything wrong?
Some of the damages your attorney may demand include the following:
- Medical Bills: The defendant or their insurance company needs to cover your medical bills. This includes current and future medical bills.
- Lost Wages: If you miss weeks or months from work, you can demand compensation.
- Property Damage: Your car was probably destroyed or damaged in the crash. Let the defendant cover any repairs or replacement of your vehicle.
- Pain and Suffering: If you can prove you suffered a lot of pain and mental anguish, you may be entitled to special damages. These aren’t easy to prove but your attorney knows how to do that.
The benefit of hiring an experienced Virginia Beach car accident lawyer is that you don’t have to do this alone. You’ll have someone by your side the entire time.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Virginia Beach Right Away
Things can get hectic during the holidays. The last thing you need is insurance companies calling your phone night and day. If you hire an experienced Virginia Beach injury lawyer, they can handle these calls. They also have a better chance of getting through to the insurance adjuster. Insurance companies take you more seriously if you have an attorney.
If you are afraid it will cost a ton of money to meet with your attorney, guess again. You can meet with one for free. It won’t cost you a dime.
Let's get started with your free consultation!